Thursday, November 17, 2011

Now boarding.....Frozen Tundra!

It's November 17th, 2011 & that may not mean much to you, but it means a heck of a lot to me.

I am turning a quarter of a century old tomorrow.

November 18th 1986 I entered this world, I'm sure I was screaming as loud as I did today once it finally hit me in less than 24 hours I will be

25

I will be boarding a plane to Minneapolis in the morning and I can't help but think...

This is what 25 feels like, this is what 25 looks like (I did notice a wrinkle across my forehead this week!), this is what 25 soooooooooooooooounds like.


I can't wait to spend time with my father, stepmom, & of course my brothers!!! I am so excited to spend time by the fire, in the frozen tundra, and just RELAXING this bag of old lady bones! (Don't worry I am not the type of person who has a mental break down and springs for Botox at 25, I've learned to take great care of my body through my current job and I feel much younger than 25!)

This will be the last time I will be in Minnesota until, well until further notice........but more on that later.


I came home today to a stack of mail that had an obvious theme, see if you can guess what it is.....









Oh Chiropractic programs, I love/hate you. In case you didn't know, I was initially scheduled to leave in October 2010 for Atlanta, Georgia to become Dr. Laura Miller (swanky right!) and then something happened.......I just got the feeling that it was not the right time for me to go, for some reason I stayed back. I stayed in Colorado, at a job that on MOST days I love, but something just didn't feel RIGHT. Something was off. This past spring I took a trip to Atlanta to check out where I was going to be spending the next 4-5 years and 100k on tuition alone. I left the weekend event at LIFE University feeling pumped and ready to return to Colorado long enough to pack my bags and throw them in my truck. Again, something changed.

After my trip to ATL my travel was on overload. I flew from GA to CO on Sunday, CO to AZ Monday, AZ to Hawaii on Tuesday and in a weeks time I met some of the most amazing ladies a gal could ask for. I went to Hawaii by myself to think and just clear my head, but I did much more than that. I met 3 women who in my heart will always be life long Hawaii-sistas!

Freda the German girl I met during my first 5 minutes at the hostel. She was on a RTW (round the world) trip at the time and as well travelled as she is, she is just as sweet. She had just come from Fiji & all we did was walk around Oahu together for HOURS!!! Do you remember the creepers in the 1st room we were in? The drunk Mexican who brought random bums to our room, the old man who was from New York that had the worst mouth of curse words ever, how about the creeper with the guitar that was pretty much in love with you!? Good times, nothing says welcome to America like a pickup line. She's back in Germany now and we have stayed in regular contact via facebook. Freda, if you're reading this, I just want you to know that I am so thankful for all of the tips you've given me, & confidence when I didn't think I had "it" in me. If you're ever in the same side of the world as me, what's mine is yours my friend. I can't wait to come visit you in Germany!

Sarah, oh lord where do I begin. The east coast, swagged out travel journalist. Fresh from New Zealand and 18 months of travel....this lady is an absolute BLAST. When I needed a drinking partner, this girl was GAME ON! She was in a "special" situation when she came to Hawaii & she has soared since our time on the island. I've done 90 M.P.H through pineapple fields (weird, did you know they grew on the ground?!) on the way to the North Shore of Oahu to catch a sunset, and even went bar hopping with a few interesting locals and then some. Thanks for showing Freda and I what an all girls hostel room is all about!!!! Nothing but laughs, vodka, and fun! I am glad we talk so often and don't ever forget those famous words, "Sarah, do what you want, & you'll never have to wonder".  India is waiting for you my friend, what are you waiting for?

Robin, California Mama Robin. On a trip for some "ME" time. Thanks for the great talks on the beach with our Starbucks and pineapple. Remember the crazy old woman in our room that thought her ex-husband was trying to poision the air on her plane ride into Hawaii. What a nutty old bird she was, I swear if I ever hear "Dancing Queen", no matter where I am, I laugh and think of her listening to it. Alone. Really alone. I'll always remember you and I at LuLu's Surf Club when the most beautiful (I completely mean that word!) man walked up to us in that suit. Good lord, I think our jaws are still on the floor somewhere in that bar! I hope you're living the way you've always wanted. Life is too short to be unhappy. Thanks for reminding me that time is not always on my side and that if I want something, I'd better get going on getting it! Many thanks & love Robin.

A week with these awesome gals in Hawaii was followed by a few days back in Arizona. Ah yes the night I kissed two cops. It was a fun trip home. Always good to be back in the valley, but I wanted to get back to Colorado.......something was, you guessed it, OFF.

I'll be the first to admit I've overstayed here in Colorado. I came to the Rockies when a study abroad to China went down the toilet due to the H1N1 JOKE!

(Come on people, the flu kills more people annually than you'd think, with that being said, PASS ON THE FLU SHOT!!!! DO SOME RESEARCH)

I came for another large reason, but we don't need to go there. I've been both happy and sad here in Colorado, the most extreme of both emotions have been experienced here in this amazing place. Recently, I've realized that it's time to get moving, but to where?

Arizona, I love you. But like a stubborn ex, I'm not ready to come crawling back.

Atlanta, I am thinking of loving you, but you're one expensive relationship. Chiropractic college is the overall goal, but there are just a few more crazies I need to get out before Sallie Mae and the Department of Education has me by the hair, chained, to a boat load (I'm talking TITANIC) of student debt....

We will just have to see what happens.....a lot can change in a year........


Back to this whole 25 thing.....I bought myself a birthday gift today. I know it's early, but I just could not wait, & one of my goals from years back was to do this before I was 25.


I bought a one-way ticket to Australia!!!!


(Thank you to Lucy Wright at Sta Travel, for always being an amazing friend & helping with our reservations)





That's right. The date is set and the ball is rolling. More like the meter is running! Operation stash cash is in full effect & I couldn't be happier! I finally did it.


A good friend from my Brown & Brown Chevrolet days will be joining me on this adventure,

Introducing Mindy Beseth.......







I wont give you the details on Mindy just yet, let's see how she does on her first trip outside of the USA!!! We got a rookie in the crowd!

Mindy, if you're reading this, plan on the time of your life lady!!! You have no idea the benefits travel brings to you and your life. Cheers friend, see you in April!


So the plan,

Mindy and I are leaving Phoenix and will be Los Angeles bound the first week in April, we fly from LAX to SYD, but first we have a small layover....

IN FIJI for a few nights! No big deal right, ha!







I can't wait to be siting on the beach, with an amazing beverage, thinking about where the next year will take me. Maybe some Kava is in order....





Then it's off to Sydney!






Mindy & I will be booking our first few nights in Australia in Sydney to see the usual attractions and from there, well the sky is the limit. Here are some ideas.......



Since this whole Australia idea began last Christmas while I was in Minnesota, it's only right I head back to tell everyone that I'm actually going. Initially, I sold my brothers on taking a trip for New Years down under, with 70 tons of fireworks going off, who wouldn't have an amazing time right? Well, sadly, no one actually put a plan in motion & although I will not be there for New Years 2012, I will atleast have the option in 2013!



Some outback love at Uluru/Ayers Rock


I'm scared to death of sharks (see previous posts), but I've always dreamt of seeing the Great Barrier Reef, and what better time than now?




Although I drive a Chevrolet Silverado (not for long, I plan on selling it before this grand adventure!), I'm still a Jeep girl at heart, & plan on getting my 4x4 fix while I'm down under!!!





After this who knows what's next & for the first time ever, I'm not going to lose sleep trying to figure that out. I am just going with my one way ticket and work visa in hand. I may split my time between Australia & New Zealand, I just might take some time and spend it in southeast Asia, you just never know....until you get there!



Moving forward one day and now one dollar at a time.



If anything, turning 25 has made me realize that I'm in fact not getting any younger & that time is never on your side, it's never going to slow down, but it has sure managed to speed up.

So what's your next move? For me its several plane rides, but more important, its a transition into doing the things I really love....


L.


No comments:

Post a Comment